Learn how blockchain empowers FinTech. Create robust, tamper-proof and highly secure financial technology applications. Upon completing this course, you will have a good understanding of the technological, applicability, limitations and "illegal" usage of blockchain within FinTech.
What You'll Learn
- The design rationale behind blockchain and the issues for such decentralized ledger (transaction) systems.
- The underlying technology (e.g. how the fundamental algorithms - the cryptographic primitives - work together) behind and how it makes blockchain works and safe.
- The differences of the various existing blockchain platforms and what these platforms can provide (e.g. pros and cons of the major platforms).
- What kinds of applications (both traditional and emerging) best fit the blockchain technology and how blockchain technology can benefit these applications.
- Blockchain does have its limitations. We will uncover the problems and the limitations of blockchain technology to enable developers and researchers to think about how to enhance the existing blockchain technology and practitioners to better address the issues when using blockchains in their applications.
- This course will also briefly discuss the downside of blockchain with respect to the protection of criminal activities (e.g. why ransomware always ask for bitcoins as ransom, and the money laundering problem).
Course Hours & Delivery
This is an online, self paced, moderated course. Participants are required to complete all modules within 6-weeks, spending a min. of 2-3 hours per week. Upon enrollment, you will be welcomed and guided by your moderator to complete the course.
Siu Ming Yiu
Professor, University of Hong Kong
S.M. Yiu is a Professor at the Department of Computer Science of the University of Hong Kong. Dr. Yiu has received numerous teaching awards including the outstanding teaching award of HKU, best teacher award (twice) of the Faculty of Engineering, HKU, and the teaching excellence award of the Department (more than six times). He is good at presenting difficult concepts using simple and easy-to-understand approaches. He is also the director of the FinTech Research Laboratory of the department and an expert in cryptography and blockchain technology. He is also a popular speaker in the industry in cryptography and blockchain technology. He is also one of the only twelve HKU researchers that appeared on the 2017 list of highly cited researchers in the world by Clarivate Analytics (there are only 152 such researchers in the field of computer science all over the world, and only 4 in Hong Kong).
Amarjit is a certified CBP (Certified Bitcoin Professional) from c4. With over 20-years of IT experience and having work with large MNCs like IBM and Citibank Group, it has given him tremendous exposure in the Finance and IT sector. To date, Amarjit has trained close to 3000 professionals, business owners, government officials and university professors. Some of his customers are from Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM), CIMB Bank, RHB Bank, MOLPay, Genting Group, UCSI University, UIA, Grab, Fave and countless others. Amarjit sits on the Board of Director for IDACB (International Decentralized Association of Crpytocurrency and Blockchain). Amarjit is also one of Malaysia's first TEDx speakers in the areas of digital assets, smart contracts and blockchain technology.
Anyone can enroll in this course. No prior knowledge of finance or blockchain is required.
Upon completion of this course, you will receive a Certificate of Achievement from Blockchain Academy. To receive a NYIF signed certificate, you will need to upgrade to the verified path. You may use these certificates to apply for a promotion or salary raise in your company. You may also display the certs in your LinkedIn profile.
Your details are 100% safe.
- Online, Self-paced
- Moderator: Yes
- Duration: 6 weeks
- Language: English
- Effort : 2-3 hours p/week
- Videos: Yes
- Certificate: Yes
- Fee: $10
Your details are 100% safe.
Blockchain Academy Plt. is in partnership with University of Hong Kong via edX. When you enroll into this course, you will be guided by our moderator who will help you complete the course. If you decide to upgrade (optional), the academy may receive a commission from the university.